You can easily backup your website (files and databases) with cPanel.
1. Go to www.yoursitedomain.com/cpanel
2. Enter your username and password – if you do not know this information please contact your web host.
3. Click the ‘Backup’ icon located on the main screen
4. Click ‘Generate/Download a full backup’
5. The “Full Backups” screen will display
6. Select your backup location (choose Home Directory)
7. Make sure your email address is correctly entered (once the backup is complete you will be emailed)
8. Click Generate Full Backup button
9. Backup file will be created in your home directory
10. Once the full backup of your account has been completed you will receive an email message to the email address you specified
If you cPanel looks different from above don’t freak. Some web hosts setup cpanel differently. Here is an example:
1. Look for a main toolbar icon labled “Tools”
2. Click “Backup” from the left menu
3. Follow instructions above starting with number four (4).
The backup file will be created on your home root directory. It will be a tar.gz file. This file can then be FTPed off your server to a local drive or CD (or both!) for safe keeping. I recommended doing this weekly at the LEAST.