Author Topic: SMF UPDATE  (Read 5618 times)

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
SMF UPDATE
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »
I like wat i see on dz forum and if admin wouldn't mind i hope he could share wit me wat makes dz forum diff frm odas. The first thing i would like to know is how you created a link module listing all the boards at the top below the menus on this forum. Also i would like to know how u included 'nationality' on the registration page; verification before posting reply and/or creating a new topic. Also how u modified the centre column into 'on going discussion'; the facebook left column... and so many more changes u made diff frm the default Adk portal settings. Tanx in advance. "He who knows how to ask questions does not get lost" esp wen the right ppl are waiting to respond. tanx in advance
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:02:31 PM by jearile2006 »

All Student Forum

SMF UPDATE
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »

Offline mfoniso

• Administrator
    • Play Lsit Hub
Re: SMF UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 10:55:33 PM »
I like wat i see on dz forum and if admin wouldn't mind i hope he could share wit me wat makes dz forum diff frm odas.
I am glad you like what we have done so far on the forum, and thank you for your kind words.

The first thing i would like to know is how you created a link module listing all the boards at the top below the menus on this forum. Also i would like to know how u included 'nationality' on the registration page; verification before posting reply and/or creating a new topic. Also how u modified the centre column into 'on going discussion'; the facebook left column... and so many more changes u made diff frm the default Adk portal settings. Tanx in advance. "He who knows how to ask questions does not get lost" esp wen the right ppl are waiting to respond. tanx in advance
I will take your questions one at a time and also wait for your response if you are able to achieve what i will be showing you here on your forum.

1. Created a link module listing all the boards at the top below the menus on this forum.
To archive this, you will need to create a HTML portal block in your ADK potal, at the (TOP column), In this portal block you will simply link up you board using HTML tag <a href=""></a> for example
Code: [Select]
<a href="www.yoursite.com/forum/board1">News</a>
<a href="www.yoursite.com/forum/board2">Sports</a>
<a href="www.yoursite.com/forum/board3">Love</a>

Hope to read from you if you are able to do this.
Please do not PM me questions, ask all your questions in the forum, for others to learn from.

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »
at present, am still working offline to gather all the experience i need b4 hosting bt can i still try it? if yes, how??

All Student Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »

Offline mfoniso

• Administrator
    • Play Lsit Hub
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
at present, am still working offline to gather all the experience i need b4 hosting
What tool are you using to work offline?

bt can i still try it? if yes, how??
Yes you can still try it, depends on the tool you are working offline with.
Please do not PM me questions, ask all your questions in the forum, for others to learn from.

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »
m using xamp...

All Student Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »
Ok with XAMPP you can do it and test all that i will be showing you, so go ahead and try it, and if possible share how successful you have, by posting a screenshot of your work too.

since am using a localhost, shud i still try using 'www.mysitename.com"??

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:43:29 PM »
Instead of using "www.mysitename.com/forum/board1" i used "http://localhost/.../forum/board1/" i copied the url frm my address bar and itz working... but it only appears in the 'home' page, if u click on other pages it does not load. How do i make it appear permanently on every loading??
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:46:40 PM by jearile2006 »

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 12:06:17 AM »
Instead of using "www.mysitename.com/forum/board1" i used "http://localhost/.../forum/board1/" i copied the url frm my address bar and itz working... but it only appears in the 'home' page, if u click on other pages it does not load. How do i make it appear permanently on every loading??

I went to Adk portal =» settings; i checked the "Activate top column on board" radio box and itz working... Plz can we now move to the next issue?? tank u for u assistance and also finding time to respond
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:21:10 AM by jearile2006 »

Offline mfoniso

• Administrator
    • Play Lsit Hub
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »
Instead of using "www.mysitename.com/forum/board1" i used "http://localhost/.../forum/board1/" i copied the url frm my address bar and itz working

When you host your website, that is when you will be using your website url i.e www.mysitename.com/forum/board1. since you were on the XAMPP server the url will "http://localhost/.../forum/board1/" .
I went to Adk portal =» settings; i checked the "Activate top column on board" radio box and itz working

Am glad you figure it out and that is a good start.

OK Now to your Next Question
Also i would like to know how u included 'nationality' on the registration page

To include Nationality on your registration page, simply download this mod country flag
once you have done that, go to your Admin panel > package manager, here you can upload the mod and install. After the installation follow the instruction and do the setting on your website.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:23:09 AM by mfoniso »

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 12:44:12 PM »
I downloaded CountryFlags_v2.2 but i got "error in package installation" message wen i wanted to install it on the forum... m using smf 2.0.4

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »
If one is trying to install a package, on the last section which is "install in other themes", is one expected to only check the box of the current theme is using or all other ones inclusive??

Offline mfoniso

• Administrator
    • Play Lsit Hub
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 02:29:46 PM »
I downloaded CountryFlags_v2.2 but i got "error in package installation" message wen i wanted to install it on the forum... m using smf 2.0.4

You are getting that error because CountryFlags_v2.2 has been upgraded to work on smf 2.0.5, so you can manually correct the error but that will need you to know a bit of what you will do. However you can upgrade your forum to smf 2.0.5 by going to smf official website and download the upgrade pack for 2.0.4 and use your package manager to upload and upgrade. This should go smoothly, after that install the country flag again.

If one is trying to install a package, on the last section which is "install in other themes", is one expected to only check the box of the current theme is using or all other ones inclusive??
Yes you are expected to check the box of the current theme you are using. if not it will only install in the default theme.

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 08:44:01 PM »

You are getting that error because CountryFlags_v2.2 has been upgraded to work on smf 2.0.5, so you can manually correct the error but that will need you to know a bit of what you will do. However you can upgrade your forum to smf 2.0.5 by going to smf official website and download the upgrade pack for 2.0.4 and use your package manager to upload and upgrade. This should go smoothly, after that install the country flag again.

Yes you are expected to check the box of the current theme you are using. if not it will only install in the default theme.
Okay! tanx a bunch. i tink am enjoying this tutorial. Plz can be proceed to other issues, tank u

Offline mfoniso

• Administrator
    • Play Lsit Hub
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 11:21:50 PM »
Okay! tanx a bunch. i tink am enjoying this tutorial. Plz can be proceed to other issues, tank u
I want to believe you were able to do the upgrading, and that your country flag worked well.

Now to your Next question?
How to include verification before posting reply and/or creating a new topic.
To include verification before posting reply and/or creating a new topic. this can be found in your admin panel, when you are in your admin panel, click on the Security and Moderation, > Anti - spam, On this Anti - spam page you can do all the settings you want, such as Require verification on registration page, Require verification on all guest searches, by just checking the rado buttons. You can also set the number of post a member will have on your forum before the verification required for posting can stop. This can be done by imputing the number of post you wish in here (Post count under which users must pass verification to make a post), it could be 5, 6 or 10 depending on what you want.

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »
I want to believe you were able to do the upgrading, and that your country flag worked well.

Now to your Next question?
How to include verification before posting reply and/or creating a new topic.
To include verification before posting reply and/or creating a new topic. this can be found in your admin panel, when you are in your admin panel, click on the Security and Moderation, > Anti - spam, On this Anti - spam page you can do all the settings you want, such as Require verification on registration page, Require verification on all guest searches, by just checking the rado buttons. You can also set the number of post a member will have on your forum before the verification required for posting can stop. This can be done by imputing the number of post you wish in here (Post count under which users must pass verification to make a post), it could be 5, 6 or 10 depending on what you want.
Good morning sir! it bin quite enlightening and i won't stop to say thank u. You've taken ur tym to giv ans to all the questions of which am vry gratefl. All thru dz tym av bin on mobile; how can i set up mine to be mobile friendly as urz?? And one oda tin, which hosting service are u currently using - i would appreciate it if u cud help with more details on the subject of hosting my forum. tank u 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:48:13 PM by jearile2006 »

Offline lawreno3

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 07:08:30 PM »
Am interested too
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:10:38 PM by lawreno3 »

Offline mfoniso

• Administrator
    • Play Lsit Hub
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 07:17:37 PM »
how can i set up mine to be mobile friendly as urz??

This is can be done but that will need you to have your website hosted on the internet first before you can work on the mobile version of your site. Though not as difficult as you see it.

And one oda tin, which hosting service are u currently using
My forum is hosted with Ezyhostng.com, which happen to be my own web hosting company. Our service is Economical, 24/7 customer service and our up time is good.

i would appreciate it if u cud help with more details on the subject of hosting my forum. tank u
If you wish to host your site, you will need to first get the name of your site registered, this is usually done along with the hosting once you have paid for a hosting plan. After this is done you presence will be on the internet, then you will be provided with a cpanel where you will use to manage and design your site. You can have an Auto installation of your SMF in just a click on the cpanel provided by Ezyhostng.com

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 12:32:36 PM »
how can i set up mine to be mobile friendly as urz??

This is can be done but that will need you to have your website hosted on the internet first before you can work on the mobile version of your site. Though not as difficult as you see it.

And one oda tin, which hosting service are u currently using
My forum is hosted with Ezyhostng.com, which happen to be my own web hosting company. Our service is Economical, 24/7 customer service and our up time is good.

i would appreciate it if u cud help with more details on the subject of hosting my forum. tank u
If you wish to host your site, you will need to first get the name of your site registered, this is usually done along with the hosting once you have paid for a hosting plan. After this is done you presence will be on the internet, then you will be provided with a cpanel where you will use to manage and design your site. You can have an Auto installation of your SMF in just a click on the cpanel provided by Ezyhostng.com
I went thru ur web hosting site and m quite confuse on wat particular order to go cuz i wudnt want to spend on a large web space dan i wud need as a starter. So on this note, frm ur experience which one wud u advice sb just starting a forum begin with? i saw 1500, 3500 & 6500 bt no domain registration fee, is it included or not?? pls help me spell out in details the total amount for everything and how one can make payment thru bank deposit. Also, how long will it take to set up one's site after payment has bin confirmed. tanx

Offline mfoniso

• Administrator
    • Play Lsit Hub
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »
I went thru ur web hosting site and m quite confuse on wat particular order to go cuz i wudnt want to spend on a large web space dan i wud need as a starter. So on this note, frm ur experience which one wud u advice sb just starting a forum begin with?
Dont be confuse, as a beginner you should start with the Startup plan (500Mb Disc space and 4 Gig band width) this is much cheaper and you will get use to how the cpanel feels and look. More so as you forum grows, you can upgrade to a larger plan that is if you exhaust the 500Mb Disc space and 4 Gig band width.

i saw 1500, 3500 & 6500 bt no domain registration fee, is it included or not?? pls help me spell out in details the total amount for everything
This are the various price for hosting excluding domain name registration. Our domain name registration is N2,000 on all plan.

how one can make payment thru bank deposit. Also, how long will it take to set up one's site after payment has bin confirmed. tanx
Once you place your order on the our site, the payment detail will be displayed in your invoice. And once you have made payment, send the detail of your payment to us via SMS or call, once this is confirm, your site will be up and running.

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 08:04:37 PM »
i've made an order for it today bt coz itz sunday itz nt possible to make any payment today. So i hop my expiry date wont affect my order? Plz i didnt get any phone no to send an sms/call to send my details after i must av made d payments. plz send me the right noz...

Offline mfoniso

• Administrator
    • Play Lsit Hub
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 12:12:34 AM »
Plz i didnt get any phone no to send an sms/call to send my details after i must av made d payments. plz send me the right noz...

The contact number is on the home page, www.ezyhostng.com or simply click on the contact link and you will get both the phone numbers and the email address.
So i hop my expiry date wont affect my order?

No it wont affect your order, we normally call our clients before cancelling their orders.
However we can continue the discussion on the web hosting over at Issues Related To EZyHostNG Services, Be it Web hosting or Domain Registration

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
Now that i've host my site, pls tell me what to do to make it mobile friendly as this forum. tanx

Offline mfoniso

• Administrator
    • Play Lsit Hub
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »
You have not install or built your site yet. Get this done before we can talk about making it mobile friendly. Your site is still bear. However go to this link Issues Related To EZyHostNG Services, Be it Web hosting or Domain Registration and post your difficulties you fine in getting your way around on the cpanel of your site, so i can guide you on how you can install and get your forum running. Then we will talk about the mobile friendly version on this topic, once you have got you forum running.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:38:37 PM by mfoniso »

Offline jearile2006

• Uniport forum
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 07:03:54 PM »
pls i need tips on how to go about creating a favicon for my forum.

Offline mfoniso

• Administrator
    • Play Lsit Hub
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 08:50:35 PM »
Ok to add favicon to your forum, you will need to download this smf mod, Favicon & Custom Global HTML by BK-Modding and install it on your forum. Then go to your admin panel, click on modifications, then miscellaneous. On this section you will see where you are to input the url or link to your favicon.
Note your favicon is an image in the size of 16 x 16 or 32 x 32

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
10 minus 10 = ?:
What letter is missing in this word 'Gogle':